BOLKOV KAWASAKI BK117 B-2
The twin-engine BK117 provides the Taranaki Rescue Helicopter Trust with a rescue machine that can be reconfigured for a number of role specific missions.
Operational response capability:
- Emergency air ambulance response
- Search and rescue – marine, off-shore
- Search and rescue – alpine
- Winch operations
- Night operations
- Inter-hospital transfers
- Beacon & EPIRB Searches (121.500 Mhz)
- Rapid AOS / SAR / Fire Team Deployment
- Twin Lycoming LTS-101-850 (850 horsepower each)
- Fitted with Stryker EMS stretcher Kit
- 600 lb (272kg) Breeze Eastern Variable Speed 250ft Winch
- Direction Finder is a DF-88A Emergency Beacon Corp
- Garmin 760 GPS
- TracPlus Rockair flight tracking
- Sliding Doors both sides for open SAR platform
- Standard Fuel Load = 2.0 hrs Operational Flight Time
- Cruise Speed = 120 kts IAS per hr (222 kph)
- Max Seating = 9 PAX (including the Pilot, crewman, ICP and patient)
- Compatible comms with Tower, Ambulance, Fire, DOC, RCC, Hospital
- EAM Off-shore Life Raft
- Traffic Collision Avoidance System through LYNX L3 NGT 9000
- Night Vision Goggles Anvis 9
- External hold integrated oxygen system
In 2000, the Taranaki Rescue Helicopter was able to move all its stored equipment from a 20ft Hookers container into a purpose built hangar at the Base Hospital.
Primarily constructed by Fletcher Construction and with the assistance of a number of specialist contractors, a huge contingency of volunteers and a massive amount of support from the Taranaki community the hangar provides a place for our whole team to reside.
With space for offices, equipment, storage, lockers and changing rooms along with incident command, training and meeting facilities, this valuable facility not only serves as home for the Taranaki Rescue Helicopter Trust, but also an operational training base for our pilots, crew and administration staff.